Thursday, April 12, 2007

Indian Home Stay

I know, two blog entries in quick succession! What can I say, with my laptop, “Lapia” as I affectionately refer to her, back in working order with a new adapter cord, I am back in blogging mode.

Last weekend I had my first “Indian home stay”. The boyfriend of my wonderful friend Andrea, Shivam, whose family is from Jaipur where he grew up, was in India for three weeks so I made a trip to see them all. I hadn’t seen Shivam in over two years.

On Good Friday, we went to Choki Dhani, which is basically like a Rajasthani “village experience” for tourists. It’s more like a village carnival complete with magicians, dancing, gift shops, a maze even and plenty of Rajasthani food.

Since I had the opportunity to see all the touristy Jaipur places a couple months back on a weekend trip with roommates, I was able to spend this three day weekend very casually, getting to know Shivam’s family, walking the markets with him and trying just about every Rajasthani sweet there is.

Shivam’s parents are amazingly sweet people and told me I had a second family in Jaipur anytime I wanted a weekend away from Delhi.

2 comments:

michaelgc said...

Hi Josh!

Michael Guelker-Cone, Kate's dad writing. Your Blog site was passed on to me and I wanted to say hi. Looks like you are having an amazing time. Love your photos! Keep in touch with us if you think about it.

Julie Reiman said...

Buddy,
I was so happy to see you with a family! Looks like great fun.
Ma