Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Celebrity of being White

This time I am reaching out to all of you who read this to get your opinion on something that happens fairly often here. Jose Luis and I are approached all the time in public places and asked to have our picture taken with other Indians. I don’t really understand this phenomenon. I mean I know I had my picture on the front page of the Local section in the Everett Herald once and have been contributing to this blog which I’m sure reaches people on all corner of the globe by now, but I still have a hard time believing they are the sources of my celebrity. As for Jose Luis, it’s obvious. He’s just plain good looking.

That said, I don’t completely understand why this is appealing to so many Indians and would like to hear your perspective on this. Many of you have traveled around the world yourself. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Why do Indians want their picture taken with foreigners, particularly foreigners who are definitely not from South Asia?

With some women right after I´d had my picture taken with their family



Jose Luis getting his picture taken with a nice young guy in front of India Gate

In front of India Gate with a couple of young ladies who had asked

5 comments:

Thea Petersen said...

Hey Josh! I haven't had anyone ask to take my picture here in Tanzania (maybe because I'm not as good looking), but everyone wants to touch my skin or my hair and some kids even pinch me to see if I'm real. I had a kid the other day grab my arm and when he let go, my arm was all orange and sticky from whatever he had all over his hands. I would have rather had him take my picture. Most locals don't have cameras so they want me to take their picture so they can see it. I'm glad you're having such a great experience!
Thea

Trebuchet said...

You know, maybe they really think you're famous. You DO resemble that one guy from that one chick flick... what's it called, again?

You know what I'm talking about.

Also, you seem very tall there. Maybe freakishly so?

Unknown said...

hmmm... I don't mean for this to be yet another ethno/americentric comment, but is it some kind of status symbol to have pictures with fair-skinned foreigners lying around one's album? Or maybe just a novelty like trying to get a picture with a stranger with the most intense mullet you've seen, and without being insulting... I tried the latter, using the excuse we were traveling with an Australian, and the man was very accommodating, a good sense off humor.

angela said...

I'm clearly several years late commenting on this but I'm a white female in India now and experiencing the same celebrity treatment. I've asked my Indian-American friends from home why this happens and they say it's because they only see white people in movies and never in real life. White people are something they always hear of, but never get a chance to see. Like a unicorn or something...haha

Johnny said...

I am of Indian origin and have grown up in a white country. I was so utterly sickened to the point of vomiting right then and there when I saw the celebrity treatment white people were getting, What truly saddens me is that the these same Indians forgot how the white race was responsible for their wretched poverty. The same white imperialists who plundered India, created all those famines in Bengal, Orissa and Bihar. I wasn't sure who I wanted to belt right then and there, the whites for taking that all in and feeding into their already inflated ego of white supremacism or the nativity of those moronic Indian peasants. If those poor Indians ever visited a white country, take Germany for instance, those auslanders would be beaten up ten times before they knew what was going on. They should grow up in a western country to realize that all that glitters isn't gold!
-Johnny

P.S if you have any deceny you will decline taking those pictures, who do yu think you are, God? Your just white trash punk!

Brown Pride
Hindu Power