Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hair Saloon

Sunday, January 21st, gave me a free day to explore Gurgaon on foot, relax, and entertain myself without having to pay for a taxi. Taxis are very expensive in Gurgaon. Normally, you must pay for four hours/40 km or eight hours/80 kms. Further, Gurgaon has very few auto rickshaws and no public transportation, so if you don't have a car and don't want to pay for a taxi you're either walking or saying prayers in the back of a bicycle rickshaw as cars zoom past you. I chose to walk on Sunday.



















About half way through my walk I found a nice stylist at the Hair Saloon to cut my hair. What I didn't learn until I was face-to-face with my stylist was that he was probably 12-13 years old and spoke hardly any English. So I thought, since I can't really explain what I kind of haircut I want, we'll just see what he gives me. It'll be a fun story at the least.

Well, first off my hair was never wettened throughout the haircut. Further, my young stylist had a style of his own. That of Edward Scissorhands. The finished product was great, but the method was not what I'm used to. He would open and close his scissors very rapidly each time before cutting any hair. So I would hear the scissors slicing through the air and then the hair would be cut. I was tense at first, but quickly realized this guy knew what he was doing. I wasn't his first haircut. He finished the job with what I learned later is common in some parts of India...the most intense face, head, neck and shoulder massage I've probably ever received. He was literally doing the "hand-chop" on my scalp :)

Reenz, I think you've found some competition ~



















His friends, who were stuffing and sewing bed comforters next to the saloon were fascinated by the digital camera and glad to take and appear in a few photos. The guy, second from the left below, was even nice enough to give me a piece of birthday cake from the party he had just come from, as I went on my way.



















This is the norm in east Gurgaon. Cows walking about with high rise condos or commercial buildings serving as their backdrop.

4 comments:

Sarah Reiman said...

I just laughed OUT LOUD for a good five minutes. I love it. I love that you're there. I love what you're doing with your time. I love how outgoing you are and I admire the experiences that you're having.

I just love you.

Sissy

Amit Rao said...

Josh, i think these days all the local guys want to have a haircut like a popular cricket player "Dhoni". Your young barber did seem to fancy the "Dhoni" look :) Did you check the spelling of "faceiel" and i wonder what is "belech"???

Trebuchet said...

HA!!! A fine cut, indeed. Who needs a fancy-schmancy haircut, anyway? Young Eddie Scissorhands appears quite proud of his work. What bravery! :)

I've been slow in writing you, many apologies -- I'll do it. But in the meantime, thinking of you and your newly-cut hair!

Irshad said...

It seem nice hair saloon and expert people You found there. I advice you about selection of hair style that select such hair style that is suitable for you and that is supporting for your hair. Supporting for hair mean not cause hair loss. As hairlosscounter specified regarding the tips forhair loss treatment that such hair style in which hair are tightly pulled by can cause hair loss and such hair loss is almost impossible to cure.